Advantages and Disadvantages of Thermal Power Plants
Advantages of Thermal Power Plant
1. Cheaper in production cost when compared with that of diesel power plant.
2. This plant can be installed at any place irrespective of the existence of fuels.Where as hydroelectric plant is install only at the source of water power areas.
3. These plants can be located near the load centers.
4. It requires less space compared to the hydro electric power station.
5. In this system, fuel used is cheaper.
6. Steam engines and turbines can run under 25% of overload continuously.
7. A portion of steam raised can be used as process steam in various industries.
Thermal Power Station Operation
Disadvantages of Thermal Power Plant
1. Maintenance and operating costs are high.
2.Pollution is a major problem due to fumes and residues from pulverized fuels.
3. Handling of coal and disposal of ash is quite difficult.
4. Troubles from smoke and heat from the plant.
5. The plant cost increases due to increase in operating temperature and pressure.
6. Huge quantity of water is required.
7. Efficiency falls rapidly below 75% at full load.